January 23, 2012

My 2012 Challenge

I graduated first of all! Actually recieved my dipolma and everything! I can't believe it, I mean it was such a long process and there were certainly moments when I thought it wasn't going to happen. I'm sure everyone has those, when it's just so close that it feels like any moment everything is going to hit the fan. Graduation day was just something extreme from my point of view. There were literally thousands of people there, so finding someone afterwards was a bit like a needle in a haystack, I eventually just kinda gave up and got to higher ground and waited till I saw someone. But it was really cold so standing out there wasn't much fun. That's the problem with December graduations I suppose, it just isn't really pleasant to congregate outside.

But yes it's completely official now, I guess I could legitimately call myself a historian, though I've neglected to do so as of yet, but it's only been a month so I suppose there is always time for that later on.

Other updates...let me see. Well we're really busy at work right now, which I'm extremely excited about. Let's face it, taxes are due in a couple months here, so busy means there might be money to pay them this year. I doubt it but I can't help but be slightly optimistic. I kinda wish I could hire those H&R block dudes, bc I'm sick of the gigantic tax bills...of course then I'd have to pay them o.O so not sure if that works or not.

What else? Oh I kinda met someone...It's a little odd and I don't know if anything will come of it or not but maybe, and maybe can be positive...I guess...It's just kinda one of those things were I don't know what's going on or what's happening or anything of the sort. Long term potential, just between you and me I doubt it, but he seems to be probably the least weird person I've gone out with lately, so that's always a plus...I seem to attract the crazies...I don't get why but I very much don't like it.

Finally, to the crust of the post today, the reason I decided to post. My friend Jazz challenged herself last year to read an enormous amount of books throughout the course of a calendar year. It occurs to me that I haven't been out of school since I was 5 so before I move on to the next degree I intend to pursue, I've decided to take on a little challenge of my own. I have, as I previously mentioned, been at school for a very long time. This is the first chance I will have to see what I can accomplish when I don't have that added element riding over my head. So I am challenging myself to see just how many books I can read in a calendar year starting January 1, 2012. I don't know how busy I'm going to get or just how much free time I'm going to have but I think it's something I kinda need to do to prove something to myself.

I've actually already started, and the count is currently at 2...though to be fair the first was over 1000 pages so idk. I'm in the middle of number 3 right now. At the end of the year, I'm going to post a final tally, and hopefully keep a running score at least once a month, to force me to actually try to make use of this neglected page. (As anyone who might read this can probably tell I don't post much). Also at the end of the year, I will publish a complete list, with author, title and month read of EVERY BOOK I manage to get through.

The one question I have out there for anyone whose ever taken on a challenge like this is regarding anthologies, and I might ask Jazz about this, do you count an anthology as one book, or do you count each individual novel that is part of it? I've got a shakespeare and a sherlock homes anthology on the docket for sometime soon, as well as a buffy anthology with 3 novels in it. I kinda would like to figure out how I'm going to talley them before I start reading those particular, though I assure you I have plenty to read before I get that far.

Also another major component in this will be challenging myself NOT to read anything I've read before. This will insure that I'm reading for comprehension not just to get through it. I also find that devouring books like that is inspirational to my own artistic pursuits as per my lyrics and stories because it prompts new avenues of thinking.

Wish me luck and belated new years,

Kat

No comments: